Burnley Civic Trust Heritage Image Collection

Catering For The Space Age

30 Jun 1972
Black Bull Hotel, Marsden Road, Burnley

Media Ref: BE72ng51275
Catering For The Space Age
Catering For The Space Age (1) Catering For The Space Age (1)

The Black Bull Today.

From an Advertising Feature by Allan Halstead:
The "new" Black Bull Hotel at Lane Head is set fair to serve the customers of the space age with the same traditional hospitality found at the early coaching inns. But the welcome will be just as warm, the £20,000 improvement scheme ensures that the beer is cool and the food hot! Bass-Charrington (NW) Ltd are to be congratulated on achieving the rare blend of the old and the new; maintaining the atmosphere of old oak beams, and still incorporating the virtues which modern science has made possible in comfort and hygiene. "Refreshment" has been served at the Black Bull for around 200 years and generations of Lane Headers have enjoyed the amenities of their day and age.

There has been a third extension to the premises which improves the former games room and several smaller rooms have been converted into one large area divided by a new central service bar. The licensee, Mr Bill Pascoe, has acquired a handsome head (stuffed, of course) of a black Highland bull, with huge horns - now a feature of the bar display. The music room has been redesigned incorporating an old-fashioned inglenook fireplace, using a 300-year-old oak beam. The work has been undertaken by local firm of T. Gledhill, on behalf of Bass-Charrington. Mr. Pascoe, formerly area supervisor for Mullen and Durkin, has been at the Black Bull for four years and feels that the architects have realised the full potential of the inn.

The date, carved in stone under the eaves, is 1778, but it is almost certain that there would have been an earlier building on the site. It was situated near the ancient pack horse trails between Clitheroe and Halifax, and Burnley to Colne, long before the valley road to Colne was opened up. By 1754 there was a farm on the spot, and by 1800 there was a hamlet of about 30 families at Lane Head and the Black Bull was operating as a combined public house and farm tenanted by a James Read, with farmland stretching towards Bullions Close.

Prev Next Gallery
Close