Burnley Civic Trust Heritage Image Collection

This Old Bridge Records Birth of Sabden Parish (1 of 4)

5 Sep 1969
Sabden Bridge, Padiham Road, Sabden

Media Ref: BE69ng43254
This Old Bridge Records Birth of Sabden Parish (1 of 4)
This Old Bridge Records Birth of Sabden Parish (1 of 4) This Old Bridge Records Birth of Sabden Parish (1 of 4) This Old Bridge Records Birth of Sabden Parish (1 of 4)

A quaint old bridge, its mellowed stones spanning an entry into Sabden, is almost like an open history book for visitors who care to give it more than a fleeting glance. The bridge, which leads into the village from the Padiham side, has an inscription on each side. One reads "Read Pendleton" and the other "CC Sabden". Clearing up the mystery, a Burnley Rural District spokesman told the Burnley Express "until the turn of the century there was no such thing as the Parish of Sabden. The village was partly in the parish of Pendleton in the rural district of Clitheroe, partly in the parish of Heyhouses and partly in the parish of Read. Early in the 1900's a new parish of Sabden was formed, bringing these three parts into one new parish".
The bridge, known as Bull Bridge, takes its name from the Black Bull Hotel on the corner, a building no longer used as a hotel. Sabden Brook, running into the bridge used to be a dividing line with land on the Padiham side in Read and the other in Pendleton. At the turn of the century the portion in Clitheroe Rural District was presented to Burnley Rural District Council in a county council adjustment.

Prev Next Gallery
Close